Each month, Contracting Business picks a leading contractor and takes a look at the products, tools, and services that he or she has chosen to help make their company successful.
Hobaica Services, Inc.
Hobaica Services is the ContractingBusiness.com 2011 Residential HVAC Contractor of the Year. The company serves residential and light commercial customers within a 25-mile radius of Phoenix, AZ. Hobaica Services was founded in 1952, as a refrigeration services company by Paul Hobaica. Later, the company expanded to meet growing demands for home air conditioning systems. Communication is an everyday event at Hobaica's. All Hobaica managers participate in financial planning, budgeting, and business operations planning. Plans, goals, and key performance indicators are communicated to all employees twice each month during company meetings. Hobaica's has a long record of providing charitable service to area churches, and to less fortunate residents who are unable to afford quality heating or cooling equipment. It's also very active in Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA). Managing the company today are (from left), Mike, Louis, and Paul Hobaica. Read their story "Walking the Walk in Phoenix".
IN THE TRUCKS
- Number and type of trucks/vans: 4 Dodge Sprinter vans, 15 Chevy Express cargo vans, 4 Chevy trucks, 1 Dodge truck, 1 Ford truck, 1 Chevy flatbed truck, 1 Ford super duty flatbed, 4-12-ft. utility trailers.
- Inventory on trucks/vans: A full line of universal & Lennox OEM parts for cooling and heating equipment needs. Refrigeration specialists stock a full line of universal parts, and approximately 10 different refrigerants for low/medium temp, and wine cellar equipment needs.
- Tools provided to technicians: Promax 5000 recovery machines, 30-pound recovery tanks, acetylene, oxygen, and nitrogen tanks, 20-ft. and 28-ft. extension ladders, 6-ft. and 8-ft. stepladders. Other tools are owned by each technician, and funded through bonus/spiff opportunities.
- Test instruments technicians carry: Milwaukee inspection cameras, Fluke meters, Testo combustion analyzers, TurboTorch, Johnson Controls and TIF leak detectors,TIF charging scales, Yellow Jacket and Imperial gauges.
- Preferred field communications method: Nextel radios. Service technicians have tablet computers.
IN THE OFFICE
- Preferred business management software: Team Management Systems, for dispatch and accounting.
- Preferred business software: Microsoft Office, Excel formatted, in-house developed estimating software for construction jobs.
- Preferred load calculation software: Wrightsoft Right-Suite Universal.
- Preferred sales management software: Imogen sales presentation software.
- Preferred computer/printer equipment: Dell Computers, Canon printer/copier/scanner (tied into the network).
IN THE SHOP
- Preferred HVAC heating and cooling equipment brands: Lennox, Trane.
- Preferred Indoor Air Quality equipment: Lennox, Trane, Honeywell.
- Preferred zoning equipment: Arzel, Lennox, Trane.
- Technician certification: Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA), EPA universal, National Comfort Institute (NCI), North American Technician Excellence (NATE), Building Performance Institute (BPI), Arizona Heat Pump Council (AHPC).