Our May issue will contain an article on employee recognition programs with tips from four of our past "Contractors of the Year." Here's a peek at some of the ways these leading HVAC contractors are rewarding employee excellence. (Note: it's understood that a good wage is also important.)
- A family atmosphere includes recognizing birthdays with personal notes from managers.
- Recognize significant employment anniversaries.
- Give holiday gifts and throw parties.
- Make training enjoyable, with incentives for learning.
Be certain employees have a forum for concerns, complaints, and suggestions.
- Act on comments from employees that can make their work more beneficial or that can help the company in any way.
- Various awards for maintenance agreement sales, low callback rates, training achievements, installation sales, spifs. Travel awards are one contractor's favorite method of recognition.
- Gift cards to employees favorite store or restaurant.
- Breakfasts, BBQs, and after-hours events.
- Design an area (many have it at the entrance to the building) for employee photos, or "Employee of the Month" notices.
- Send customers letters that describe the achievements of your team.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING to recognize employee achievements? Let me know when you "have a minute." Reply here or to firstname.lastname@example.org.