Distinguished Fellow Award presented to Stanley A. Mumma
Sixty people were recognized by ASHRAE for their contributions to the Society and the building industry at the Society’s 2012 Annual Conference held here June 23-27.
The Louise and Bill Holladay Distinguished Fellow Award, given to an ASHRAE fellow for continuous preeminence in engineering or research work, was awarded to Stanley A. Mumma, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, professor emeritus, Department of Architectural Engineering, College of Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa.
The Exceptional Service Award recognizes Distinguished Award recipients who have continued to serve the Society faithfully and with exemplary effort. Eight recipients were recognized:
• Michael Bilderbeck, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, is chief mechanical engineer for the Pickering Firm Inc. in Memphis, Tennessee.
• Michael J. Brandemuehl, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, is a professor of civil, environmental and architectural engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder.
• Charles E. Henck, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, is vice president, Whitman, Requardt & Associates, Baltimore, Md.
• David E. Knebel, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, Knebel is vice president of sales and technology, AAON, Inc., Tulsa, Okla.
• Carl N. Lawson, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is a consultant, D.C. Herrmann & Associates, Tampa, Fla.
•Steven T. Taylor, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, is principal, Taylor Engineering, Alameda, Calif.
• Kay Thrasher, is vice president, Townsend Engineering, Chattanooga, Tenn.
• Joseph K. Ting, P.E., P.Eng., is manager, construction services, InSynergy Engineering, Honolulu, Hawaii.
The Distinguished Service Award salutes members of any grade for giving freely of their time and talent to the Society. The following 16 members were selected:
• Ainul Abedin, P.E. Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is owner, Ainul Abedin Consulting Engineers, Karachi, Pakistan.
• Jeff Gatlin, P.E., is vice president and co-owner, Thompson Engineers, Memphis, Tenn.
• Walter T. Grondzik, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is professor, Department of Architecture, Ball State University, Muncie, Ind.
• David A. John, P.E., is chief engineer, ADE Engineered Solutions of Florida, Inc., Tampa, Fla.
• William K. Klock, P.E., is vice-president, EEA Consulting Engineers, Austin, Texas.
• Alison G. Kwok, Ph.D., is professor, Department of Architecture, University of Oregon, Eugene, Ore.
• Howard J. McKew, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is president, Building Smart Software, North Andover, Md.
•William F. McQuade, P.E., is director of innovation and technology, Chiller Solutions, Johnson Controls, Building Efficiency, York, Pa
• Thomas R. Meyer, is director, technical programs, National Environmental Balancing Bureau, Gaithersburg, Md.
• Daniel H. Nall, P.E., ASHRAE-Certified Building Energy Assessment Professional and High Performance Building Design Professional, is senior vice president, director of sustainability, WSP Flack+Kurtz, New York, N.Y.
• James L. Newman, Life Member, ASHRAE-Certified Operations and Performance Management Professional and Building Energy Assessment Professional, is owner, managing partner, Newman Consulting Group, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
• Karl L. Peterman, P.E., is senior engineer, Vibro-Acuoustics, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
• Florentino R. Rodriguez, Sr., P.Eng., is president, Supercontrols S.A., Buenos Aires, Argentina.
• Monte G. Troutman, P.E., Troutman is project manager/engineer, Mechanical Systems, Owensboro, Ky.
• Paul G. Turnbull, is applications engineer, Siemens Industry, Buffalo Grove, Ill.
• Lily M. Wang, Ph.D., P.E., is associate professor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Omaha.
The Distinguished 50-Year Member Award is given to persons who have been a member of the Society for 50 years and have performed outstanding service to the Society. The following nine members are receiving this award:
• Presidential Member Richard A. Charles, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is a consulting engineer, Richard A. Charles, P.E., Oakland, Calif.
• Mario Costantino, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and lives in Segrate, Italy (no photo).
• Philip A. Dugan, Life Member, is a salesman, John J. Morgan Co., Edina, Minn. •Thomas J. Ferdelman, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired from Heapy Engineering, Dayton, Ohio.
• Donald P. Gatley, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is president, Gatley & Associates, Atlanta, Ga.
• Presidential Member Harley W. Goodman, Jr., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and resides in Little Rock, Ark.
• Harald E. Loewer, Ph.D. Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and lives in Hamburg, Germany.
• Clifford M. Scofield, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is president, Conservation Mechanical Systems, Sebastopol, Calif.
• Lawrence G. Spielvogel, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is a consulting engineer in Bala Cynwyd, Penn.